Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Expensive Insurance - Your Experience

After years of negotiating with a local insurance agent I thought that we were approaching an agreement on cheaper insurance for bikers and in some circumstances we have achieved this but it is still a fact that in comparison to UK insurance the cost of insuring a Spanish motorcycle in Spain is ridiculously high.

MAPFRE seems to be showing as the cheapest and best quality insurer on comparative web sites but Tour and Track has managed to consistently offer a cheaper and equally high quality insurance policy. It seems that if you negotiate you can get a better deal. It is also apparent that the combined buying power of a club is much more useful in achieving reductions in costs.

Another influencing factor over the cost of bike insurance is if you insure your car, house, life or whatever with the same broker and in these circumstances you can usually save enough in the cost of your other insurance policies to pay for your bike insurance. In Spain you need to think of the whole insurance package.

Now there are plenty of bikers hanging on to their UK registration to insure their bikes in the UK and despite the questionable legality of this who can blame them?

So what is your experience with insurance? Is the UK the cheapest for bikers insurance in Europe? Add your comments below.

6 comments:

  1. I have spent many hours ringing around for insurance for my 2007 Honda 1800 Goldwing. The prices for fully comp range from 1150 e to 890 e .Very expensive, yes its an expensive bike but in UK I paid 320pounds for a 1500 Goldwing with trailer, camping equipment, rider and passenger cover and riding gear cover, and legal cover. A question, do the Spanish get charged the same or do the Brits get charged more. A Spanish biker friend asked , why do you need fully comp ? Is it only me that finds Spanish drivers just a little scary ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just renewed the Insurance for 6 Motorcycles with Carole Nash for £160.64 fully comp. I enquired if they do cover europe, and was assured that they do breakdown cover in all european countries. I have my bikes on English plates and carry the docs around with me

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the difference between the Spanish rider and the UK rider: the UK rider says "I'm bound to have an accident or have my bike robbed and I need fully comprehensive insurance" while the Spanish rider says "there is very little chance that I will have an accident or have my bike robbed therefore I'll pay the minimum."

    I don't know who is statistically correct but I would bet it's the Spanish. Still a bugger if you have your bike robbed though!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another interesting point on insurance is that most car insurers are offering discounts of about 30% to non-Spanish Europeans living in Spain. The discount is based on foreigners not being here all year round so therefore being less of a risk.

    Why doesn't that apply to bikes?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just finished talking to our insurance broker and he has just implemented a 20% discount for motorbikes on the same basis as the car insurance mentioned above. He is also offering 10% more discount on home insurance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for sharing...:p
    i will try to visiting this blog often.

    Top Insurance Companies

    ReplyDelete